What if you know you need to create a home inventory list, but aren’t sure how to go about it? What if you’re not sure why you need such a list in the first place? Kemner Iott Benz is here to help answer your questions!
Why a Home Inventory List is Vital
A home inventory list can help you decide just how much insurance coverage you need and makes sure you are fully protected should you ever need to file a claim. Creating a home inventory list also helps you keep track of what you own and what the value is on all of your possessions, which will make it easier to file a claim should disaster strike your home. Having a home inventory is especially important for individuals and families that have spent years acquiring personal possessions.
How to Create a Home Inventory List
Creating a home inventory list might seem like a daunting task at first, but the process is simple and easy with these step-by-step instructions!
- Collect your possessions and group them into logical categories such as by hobby, by room in the home, and so on.
- Make sure each category includes purchases such as jewelry, art, and every day leisure items such as electronics and musical equipment.
- Be sure to include infrequently used items such as holiday decorations, sports equipment, tools, and so on.
- Collect copies of all original sales receipts and/or appraisal documents. Make note of all models and serial numbers.
- Carefully photograph or videotape each item individually and write up a brief description for each, including the age of the item, how much you paid for it, and current estimated value.
- Store your home inventory list and all related documentation in a safe, easily accessible place, such as online, on your computer’s hard drive, in a fire-proof box in your home, or in a safety deposit box at a financial institution. Be sure to share a copy of your list with a trusted family member or friend, or your insurance provider.
Consider Using a Special App or Computer Program
There are several programs and phone apps available to help you create, save, and keep track of your home inventory list. iTrackMine is a free web-based personal inventory manager that allows you to type in or scan the UPC codes on all of your possessions. iTrackMine also has a specific function that allows you to generate an inventory report that you can hand right to your insurance agent. To learn more about iTrackMine, visit www.itrackmine.com.
Evernote is a web-based inventory manager that allows you to create and tag special home inventory lists with minimal effort. Evernote also supports photographic inventories, which can make creating your list easier. For small inventory lists, Evernote is free. However, larger home inventory lists require a $45 a year subscription. For more information visit the Evernote website.
There are also apps that can help you create and keep track of your home inventory list on your cell phone. For iPhone users, the NAIC has a free My Home downloadable app that lets you photograph and capture descriptions and serial numbers of your possessions quickly, and then allows you to easily organize the information by room or category. Download the app from the iTunes store at myHOME Scr.APP.book. Android users can also access the My Home app via Google at myHOME Scr.APP.book.
No matter which inventory method you choose, it is very important that you do make an inventory list as soon as possible. This will avoid headaches and expensive losses in the future, and will give you the peace of mind you deserve!
Have questions or concerns about your home inventory list? It’s always best to prepare for unexpected situations, and Kemner Iott Benz is here to help you. Kemner Iott Benz is your community-centered insurance agency, here to help you with your insurance questions. Just give one of our local branches a call. We’re here for you!
Connect With Us: