During the holidays many of us gather with friends and family to create memories that will last a lifetime. This is a wonderful time of joy, peace, and cheer! But let’s not forget to keep safety first at all times. Here are some tips to keep your holidays hazard-free.
- Purchasing gifts for young children this year? Remember to check labels for age and safety recommendations. This is especially important for children under 3.
- After a child has opened her gifts, discard packaging materials immediately; they can be dangerous for a child.
- Did you receive an expensive gift (a piece of jewelry, art, or sports equipment)? Call your home insurance agent to see that it is properly insured.
The holidays are a special time to gather with family and friends. Do you plan to entertain this year? If so, be aware of food safety. Bacteria are often present in food, so ensure all food is properly prepared and stored.
- Keep hot liquids and foods away from edges of counters and tables so young children cannot reach them.
- Be aware of the extra responsibility if you choose to serve alcohol. Check with your insurance company regarding your liability for serving alcohol and have a plan in place if a guest has had too much to drink.
- Clear sidewalks and porches of ice, snow, or objects to prevent a guest from slipping and falling.
- If you have a child, remember that the homes you visit may not be childproofed. Keep an eye out for danger spots.
- Keep your children and pets safe: clean up immediately after a holiday party. A child or pet could choke or become ill from leftover food or be exposed to alcohol or tobacco.
Keep safety in mind to ensure your holiday season is less stressful and full of cherished memories.
Home insurance has many benefits for you, and it’s important that you are familiar with those benefits. At Kemner-Iott, we make sure our clients receive the best homeowners’ policy to suit their needs. If you’d like to discuss your policy, please contact us online with questions, or call one of our local insurance agencies:
Ann Arbor: 734.971.1000